Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Joy, Bliss and the depths of 'why'

As a child, when confronted with a disapproving authority, who questioned me about my actions; I would make a commitment to never “do that” again. Laughing, of course over time, I forgot my commitment and did “that again.”

When once more confronted with my errant activity, my answer was “I really didn’t mean to do that, it just sort of happened.” Humbled, perhaps spanked, I once more committed to never “do that” again.

I am guessing that most of my readers share this confusing entrapment, even today. The other day, I shouted out, “Why is this happening?”

In my anguish, I opened to Infinite Possibility – wondering, “Why can’t I, truly keep my commitments?” In my womb of possibility, I writhed for a while, allowing words and sentences to form – a question clarified, “What is it that I am committing to?” “Hmmm….”

In my life, I find that I consistently repeat specific patterns of physical action. When a dis-harmonious pattern arises, I call out, “Ekkk!” I am victimized by my unconscious patterns that are truly in conflict with my intent. Am I bound to live this way for ever, continually tossed between conscious intent and the reality of my actions?

Laughing, as Buddha said in his second Golden Truth, there is a way out of our bondage. The beginning is to realize that my intent is the source of my physical actions. Saying that I will spend one hour in meditation every morning seems like a really good commitment. Yet I am committing to a physical action without really knowing why I am doing it. Without knowing the depths of ‘Why’ I am doing the action, my morning meditation will eventually disappear from my life. Pavlov called this pattern, Extinction.

I have a cerebral cortex, I am more than animalistic reaction. I can reach within myself and find the depth of purpose for my action; then when I choose a pattern of expression, all of my deepest purpose is being manifest in that action. I find myself creating a whole new group of patterns of living – each and every one of them reflects the Joy and Bliss of my deep purpose for action.

Wahoo!!

No comments: